Moving into a new home or especially your first home is so exciting! I know it can be a little stressful at times trying to figure out what exactly you need to prepare yourself. Therefore, I have created this ultimate product list for new homeowners based on my experience of moving into our first home.
I will be sharing products that I recommend you purchase before you move in and items to consider having in your home once you’re settled in. There’s nothing like day one of moving into your new home and realizing you don’t have any cleaning products or even toilet paper!
If it’s a previously owned home, you might want to consider doing a thorough cleaning before moving the majority of your belongings in. Otherwise, if your new space is immaculate when you arrive, here are product suggestions and cleaning tools you’ll need for your home regardless.
Before you move in:
- Granite cleaner (if you have granite)
- All-purpose cleaner
- Laundry detergent & dryer sheets
- Hand soap
- Dish soap
- Dish washing brush or sponges
- Dishwasher detergent
- Lysol wipes
Can wait until after you’ve moved in (unless of course you have to clean the entire place before moving):
- Stainless steel wipes (if you have stainless steel appliances)
- Windex or glass cleaner
- Microfiber towels
- Pledge (for wood surfaces)
- Toilet bowl cleaner (can also use on sinks)
- Toilet bowl brush
- Floor solution for mopping
- Dust mop or broom
- Small handheld broom
- Swiffer dusters
- Magic erasers
- Spray n’ Wash
- Carpet cleaner machine & cleaning solution
- Carpet cleaner spot spray
Besides cleaning products you’re going to need a few other basic items, at least to get you through the first couple weeks. Then eventually I suggest looking into the other items I list to see if you find them a necessity for yourself and/or your family.
Other Home Products
Before you move in:
- Toilet paper
- Paper towels
- Paper plates
- Shower curtain or shower squeegee
- Trash cans
- First-aid kit/medical supplies/medicine
- Window coverings (temporary paper shades, sheets, curtains) and tacks to hang them
- This is more for new construction homeowners or if the previous owners of your home didn’t have blinds installed. Most new homes don’t come with blinds/shades so you’re definitely going to want to tack up sheets or curtains to cover the windows temporarily.
Can wait until after you move in:
- Fire extinguisher
- Hallway nightlight plugins
- Fire safe (for important documents/items: SSN, birth certificates, passport, etc.)
- Drawer organizers
- Drawer/cabinet liners
I hope this ultimate product list for new homeowners gave you some ideas on what to shop for and makes your move a little easier!
Also, because everyone’s needs are different and based on your living space, you might not need some of these items or you might need more or different items. However, this simple list will hopefully get you started and thinking about what you might need.
What are some household products you can’t live without? Let me know!